Miracle Whip and sweet yellow onion give this peppery and Creamy Black Pepper Cucumber Salad just the right amount of sweetness. It's a delicious and easy-to-prepare side dish that's make-ahead ready in the refrigerator.
Southerners enjoy their cucumber salad. And there are many renditions of the cucumber salad, but this one is unique. It comes from a good dose of black pepper a friend introduced me to in her salad. So I suggest you be bold in adding the full amount.
And if you're in the middle of a summer harvest of cucumbers, this recipe is a help in eating up an abundant supply. It's perfect for sharing and bringing along to a cookout or picnic.
Looking for more dish ideas made with fresh vegetables? This Corn Salad With Tomatoes is another cold salad dish. It's made with whole-kernel corn, tomatoes, green onions, and feta cheese tossed with a lightly sweetened apple cider vinaigrette balanced with a bite of red pepper flakes.
Here's a delicious traditional Cajun side dish made with fresh summer or frozen corn, Corn macaque Choux. It's smothered corn cooked in a medley of onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, and garlic. Delicious!
There are 5 simple ingredients in this recipe that bring a surprisingly delicious result. Here's a list of them.
- Miracle Whip - sweeter and spicier than mayonnaise
- pepper - fresh ground peppercorns is best
- salt - your favorite kind
- dill - fresh or dried (Check out What Is Dill? for interesting facts.)
- sweet onion - as sweet as you can find, chopping into small pieces instead of rings helps distribute the flavor throughout the salad
- cucumber - the English cucumber has a tender peel and less water, but any kind will do
See the recipe card for quantities.
This dish is so easy to put together. Just so you know, anyone can prepare it. This is an excellent time to include your kids, friends, and family members who don't know how to even make a salad but want to learn.
Peel and slice or cube the cucumber, salting them with half the amount of salt to help them stay crisp.
Mix the dressing ingredients and stir into the cucumber.
Hint: Peel cucumbers completely, or leave some of the peelings on for more crunch and color. Or leave the peelings on according to your preference.
Substitutions To This Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Some prefer mayonnaise instead of Miracle Whip; use regular mayonnaise instead, but it will alter the taste some.
- Use twice as much dried dill weed herb in place of fresh, but fresh is always best.
Store the Creamy Black Pepper Cucumber Salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. The dressing may separate some after sitting in the fridge, so give it a good stir before serving.
Use the whole .5 teaspoon of black pepper to get the best taste of this recipe, but you may use as much pepper as you like. Maybe even more!
How do you keep cucumbers from getting soggy in salads?
Salt them after slicing, and the salt will draw water out; too much water in them makes them soggy.
Salt, vinegar, herbs like dill, basil, and cilantro.
Yes, but most cucumbers have a thick peeling which doesn't taste as good as a Persian or English cucumber which has thinner skin.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
- 3 cups sliced or cubed cucumber (1-2 peeled or unpeeled cucumbers)
- .25 cup sweet yellow onion, chopped
- .5 cup Miracle Whip
- .5 teaspoon black pepper
- .5 teaspoon salt
- .5 teaspoon fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Place the cucumbers and onion in a medium-sized bowl, and stir in half the salt.
- Mix the last 5 ingredients in a small bowl, including the rest of the salt.
- Drain cucumbers if water is in them from being salted and spoon the dressing onto the cucumbers and onions.
- Stir the dressing in until evenly incorporated.
- Refrigerate for an hour or more and serve cold.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- The recipe can be made the day before it's served; stir well before serving.
- Use the whole .5 teaspoon of black pepper to get the best taste of this recipe, but you may use as much pepper taste as you like.
- Peel cucumbers completely, or leave some peelings on for more crunch and color. Or, you can leave the peelings on according to your preference.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salads
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cucumber salad, creamy cucumber salad, black pepper cucumber salad, miracle whip cucumber salad
You know I love hearing from you. Be sure to sign up for my emails to keep in touch. If you have any questions or comments, leave them in the reply box below.
Have a nice day!
“He said “Love…as I have loved you.” We cannot love too much.”Amy Carmichael