Plain Potato Salad is always served with gumbo at our house. We like it that way. There is nothing fancy or extra in there to mask or take away from the taste of the food it's served with, especially our gumbo.
I'm an Amazon Associate. Please note that the Louisiana Woman Blog contains Affiliate Links with Amazon, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. Thank you!
Plain Potato Salad Ingredients
I started making this simple salad after I first married my husband, Steve, a Mississippi man. I discovered he didn't like junk in his food. That's what he called anything crunchy. He said he didn't like his food to crunch. So I guess you could also call it a Clean Potato Salad since it doesn't contain any junk, according to him.
Since then, I have made this virtuous Plain Potato Salad with eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper. That's it! No onions, no pickles, no crunch! Although my husband's tastes have changed over the years (eating more junk in his diet), our potato salad has not. The whole family now prefers it in its unadorned state.
We even like it served alongside different meat entrees, especially grilled or barbecued.
For an extra zip when needed, try adding Simple Cajun Aioli : The Spicy Garlic Mayo Sauce in place of the mayonnaise and mustard. It's delicious!
In With The Gumbo
Many gumbo eaters, especially Cajuns, prefer their potato salad right in their bowl of gumbo. If you need more testimony of this behavior, check out this post from TigerDroppings.com. There is no sense in dirtying another dish or having to dip your spoon into several plates before it hits your mouth!Print
- 3 pounds of red potatoes, quartered with skins left on
- 4 large fresh eggs
- .75 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon regular prepared mustard
- .75 teaspoon sea salt
- .5 teaspoon black pepper
- Place potatoes in a large pot and fill with water to about two inches over potatoes.
- Boil until potatoes are almost tender.
- Add eggs to the pot near the end of boiling time to allow them to cook for 8 minutes with potatoes.
- When potatoes are tender drain them and the eggs.
- Let potatoes and eggs cool to touch then peel eggs and dice eggs and potatoes into bite-size pieces.
- Add mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper stirring lightly as to not mash the potatoes.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until later.
- I, like many gumbo eaters, add the potato salad directly into my bowl of gumbo. I like the taste, and it saves on dishwashing!
- After preparing, the potato salad should be served at room temperature. This will ensure a fresh taste and not cool the gumbo when added to the bowl.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Boiled
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: potato salad, plain
If you are in need of good gumbo recipes, I can hook you up here with Chicken Gumbo, Simply Classic Cajun, Seafood Gumbo, Goose Gumbo, or Shrimp Okra Gumbo. And while you're at it, I'll show you how to make a never-fail pot of rice at Everyday Rice Every Day to go with your Plain Potato Salad.
"Become a worry-slapper. Treat frets like mosquitoes. Do you procrastinate when a bloodsucking bug lights on your skin? 'I'll take care of it in a moment.' Of course you don't! You give the critter the slap it deserves. Be equally decisive with anxiety."