A tasty Pineapple Cheese Ball made with cream cheese, sweetened with pineapple, spiced with red pepper flakes, and rolled in chopped pecans. Make this flavorful combination in 5 easy steps to serve with crackers or vegetables.
I’m an Amazon Associate. Please note that there are Affiliate Links with Amazon in the content of the Louisiana Woman Blog, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. Thank you!
Have you ever heard of the Pineapple Cheese Ball? It’s been called a classic vintage recipe, but I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of it until recently. It’s new to me! Maybe it was before my time, or maybe it’s not a southern thing? Well, wherever it originated from, I’m glad it did because it’s so delicious.
The sweet and savory taste with a nutty crunch is a satisfying snack or appetizer. But I added some heat for another layer of flavor. Of course, I did! I can’t get away from satisfying my needy Cajun palate.
The cheese ball is also super easy to make; preparing it ahead can be a helpful timesaver. There’s no cooking involved. You can prepare it and store it in the refrigerator or freezer for later.
How Do You Make A Pineapple Cheese Ball?
It only takes 5 easy steps. The first is gathering the ingredients together and measuring them out.
The Tasty Ingredients
- Cream cheese – softened cream cheese blends best with other ingredients.
- Crushed Pineapple – drain the pineapple well to get a firm cheese ball.
- Seasoned Salt or House Seasoning Blend– the perfect seasoning.
- Sweet Red Pepper – to add sweetness, crunch, and color.
- Green Onion – for mild onion taste and added color.
- Lemon Zest – to brighten up the flavor.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes – for a pop of zing, it can be reduced or omitted, but I don’t suggest it. 😉
- Chopped pecans – that final roll in chopped pecans adds just the right taste and texture. Try using easy to make Buttery-Salted Roasted Pecans for a crispier taste.
The Easy Instructions
- Bring a block of cream cheese to room temperature. No time to set it out? That’s ok! Place it in a bowl and use a mixer to beat it until it’s creamy.
- Mix the cream cheese well with the other ingredients except for the pecans.
- Place a large piece of plastic wrap on the counter. Then spoon the cream cheese mixture onto the plastic wrap and gather the ends around the creamy ingredients, twisting it to form a ball.
- Place the wrapped ball on a plate and put it in the refrigerator for at least an hour or until it’s firm. In a time crunch, place in the freezer for 15 – 30 minutes.
- Remove it from the refrigerator and roll the pineapple cheese ball in the chopped pecans.
Tips To Rolling In Pecans
- Start with a chilled cheese ball mixture; you may need to re-shape it into a round sphere after it settles in the refrigerator.
- Make sure that it’s firm and can withstand the pressure of being rolled in the pecans.
- Spread the chopped pecans in a single layer on a flat surface.
- Roll the ball across the pecans, pressing the chopped nuts into the cheese mixture while picking up more pecans to press into the ball to cover the whole surface.
How To Store
How long does pineapple cheese ball last?
After the cheese ball is made, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How To Freeze
You can also wrap it again in aluminum foil or seal it in a zip-top bag before placing it in the freezer to keep for up to 1 month.
What To Serve With The Cheese Ball?
- Crackers – a spreader helps to spread the cheese and not break the cracker.
- Chips – a firm chip works best.
- Bread – use thinly sliced and toasted pieces of baguettes.
- Vegetables – try bell pepper strips, celery sticks, or endive leaves.
More Appetizer Recipes From Louisiana Woman Blog!
- Cajun Firecracker Ranch Crackers
- Muffuletta Cheese Ball
- Spinach Veggie Stuffed Mushrooms
- Baked Mexican Layered Dip
- Crawfish Nachos
- Chunky Cheesy Creamy Crawfish Dip
- Fresh Herb Dip
- 2 8-ounce packages of cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple, drained well
- 1.25 teaspoon seasoned salt or house seasoning
- .5 cups sliced green onion
- .5 cups chopped sweet red pepper
- .5 teaspoon crushed red pepper or red pepper flakes
- .25 teaspoon lemon zest (zest of 1 lemon)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Step 1: Measure and prepare the ingredients listed.
- Step 2: Cream the cream cheese with an electric mixer in a large bowl.
- Step 3: Stir in the pineapple, seasoned salt, green onions, red pepper flakes, and lemon zest.
- Step 4: Spoon cheeseball ingredients onto a large piece of plastic wrap, form it into a ball using the plastic wrap, seal the wrap tightly, and chill it in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Step 5: Place pecans onto a flat dish or pan, remove the cheeseball from the refrigerator, unwrap it, and roll the cheeseball into the pecans until all sides are covered.
- Serve in a dish with crackers or vegetables or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Drain the pineapple well, squeezing out the juice with the back of a spoon; save the juice for later use.
- Reduce or omit the red pepper flakes for a milder taste.
- Roast the pecans before chopping them for a richer-tasting, crispier nut crunch.
- Prep Time: 1.5 hours
- Category: appetizers
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pineapple cheese ball, cheese ball, easy pineapple cheese ball
Be sure to sign up for my emails to keep in touch. If you have any questions or comments, leave them in the reply box below. You know I love hearing from you.
Have a nice day!
“I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small talks as if they were great and noble.”Helen Keller