This Chunky, Cheesy, Creamy Crawfish Dip is perfect for parties or as an appetizer before a meal. Serve the spicy dip with chips or crackers for a memorable gathering. Yum!
I’m an Amazon Associate. Please note that there are Affiliate Links with Amazon in the content of the Louisiana Woman Blog, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. Thank you!
Anything made with crawfish is good for me, especially when anticipating crawfish season. There's nothing like a pile of steamy, freshly boiled crawfish, but this dip made with frozen crustaceans helps curb that craving until it's harvest time.
I'm from a small town called Kaplan, Louisiana. It's located in Vermilion Parish, where they grow a lot of crawfish. Here is a video, Fresh Seafood in the Most Cajun Place on Earth, about harvesting crawfish and crab in my homeland.
Simplifying The Classic Crawfish Dip
There are many crawfish dip recipes, and most call for a can of condensed creamed soup. I prefer fresher, simpler ingredients, so we'll start this recipe by sauteing the onion, celery, and peppers in butter. A little flour helps thicken the sauce.
Next, add milk and bouillon cubes for flavor. Stirring in a chunk of cream cheese and shredded parmesan in the pan melts them into the creamy base.
Now here comes the chunky part. A pound of chopped raw crawfish tails is stirred into the cheesy, creamy sauce. This simmers for 5 minutes and becomes the most luscious bowl of flavor for chips or crackers to escort into your mouth. Yum!
You can also use leftover crawfish tails from your last crawfish boil. Note that you may have to adjust the seasoning since the crawfish will already be seasoned.
More Dishes From Louisiana Woman
- Crawfish Etoufee
- Crawfish Fettuccini
- Shrimp And Crawfish Pasta
- Pineapple Cheese Ball: In 5 Easy Steps
- Crawfish Nachos
- 24 Mardi Gras Food Recipes
Chunky Cheesy Creamy Crawfish Dip
The title says it all. It's a rich and creamy, cheesy dip with spicy-delicious chunks of crawfish. Yum! Serve warm with chips or crackers
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 cups 1x
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup green onion tops, chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 4 ounces of cream cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 pound cleaned crawfish tails, raw and chopped
- ¾ teaspoon Slap Ya Mama or your favorite Cajun seasoning blend
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add vegetables and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Lower heat if needed toward the end of cooking.
- Stir in flour and let cook for 1 minute.
- Pour milk in a little at a time, stirring to blend well.
- Add bouillon cube continuing to stir while cooking until the mixture thickens.
- Add cream cheese, then parmesan cheese stirring until they melt into the sauce.
- Stir in the crawfish and seasonings, let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with corn chips or crackers.
A small amount of milk or water can be added to thin the dip if needed.
Buy locally grown and harvested seafood.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Saute'ing
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: crawfish dip
Be sure to sign up for my emails to keep in touch. If you have any questions or comments, leave them in the reply box below. You know I love hearing from you.
Have a nice day!
“For it is good to be children sometimes, and never better than at Christmas when its mighty Founder was a child Himself.”
― Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol