A Creamy Mac And Cheese that’s decadent comfort food baked with a 3-cheese sauce topped with breadcrumbs and more cheese flavor. The mild taste of garlic in the sauce adds a depth of flavor that makes it most delectable.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I have used these products that are highlighted below and recommend them for your convenience. Please note that there are Affiliate Links in the content of the Louisiana Woman Blog, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. Thank you!
Stepping Outside Of The Box
When I was growing up in south Louisiana, we weren’t deprived of much when it came to food. I was satisfied with whatever my mama put before me, even if it was macaroni and cheese made with a powdered mix from a box. Which was considered a snack until the actual homecooked food was ready to be served.
Then I went off to LSU, and that blue and yellow box became dorm room sustenance until the next real meal came along. Sometimes without milk and butter. That, I do not recommend!
Later, when I married Mississippi Man, I was introduced to his mom’s mac and cheese. Unlike my mama’s boxed cheesy noodle snack, this one was made from scratch and baked in a casserole dish. I never dreamed you could create the stuff without that blue and yellow box, but you certainly can, and I certainly do.
This recipe has evolved from my mother-in-law’s original creamy mac and cheese. She makes her sauce with processed cheese melted with milk in the microwave, which is delicious. My recipe, however, includes 3 kinds of cheese (mozzarella, parmesan, and sharp cheddar), a can of evaporated milk, and a sprinkle of garlic for a surprisingly delightful taste.
Although there are more ingredients than Mom’s dish, it’s still as easy as melting the cheeses together with milk then mixing with the cooked macaroni. There aren’t any eggs or flour used to thicken this sauce like some recipes call for. The simple ingredients do an excellent job of thickening on their own with lots of creamy textures.
Stove-Top Or Oven-Baked
One can devour the combined cheese and noodles right out of the pot, but I like to bake them until bubbly in a casserole or 6 small ramekins for individual servings. I also add more sharp cheddar cheese and some breadcrumbs on top for more cheesy flavor and crunchy texture.
Just because this one doesn’t come out of a box doesn’t mean that it’s not quick and easy. One thing is sure, it’s definitely creamier and cheesier! Life is undoubtedly tastier with Creamy Mac and Cheese in it.
More Cheesy Dishes For You!
- Easy Cheese Potato Casserole
- Twice-Baked Cheese Potatoes
- More Casserole, Cast Iron One-Pot Meal
- Introducing Tasso Macaroni and Cheese
- Mexican Street Corn
- 8 cups water
- 8-ounces (2 cups) elbow macaroni noodles, dry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup (4-ounces) grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (4-ounces) grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (8-ounces) grated sharp cheddar
- 1 12-ounce can of evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 cup (4-ounces) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and prepare a medium-size casserole dish or 6 ramekins with spray oil.
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil in a medium-size pot.
- Add salt and macaroni and boil for 12 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large pot while macaroni is boiling.
- Pour milk and water into the butter stirring in salt, pepper, and granulated garlic.
- Heat milk until it starts to boil.
- Add mozzarella, parmesan, and 1 cup of sharp cheddar to milk, stir until melted.
- Drain pasta when cooked and add to the cheese sauce, stirring until well incorporated.
- Pour mac and cheese into a casserole dish or six individual ramekins.
- Top mac and cheese with the rest of the cheese and the bread crumbs.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes and serve.
- This mac and cheese can be eaten right out of the pot without baking.
- The sauce can be made in the microwave by heating milk first, then the cheese and milk together until cheese are melted, stirring frequently.
- After adding noodles, if cheese sauce is too thick, add a little water or milk until the desired consistency.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy mac and cheese, macaroni and cheese
Please be sure to sign up for my emails so we can keep in touch and leave any questions or comments in the reply box below.
You know I love hearing from you!
Have a nice day!
Rest time is not waste time. It is economy to gather fresh strength… It is wisdom to take occasional furlough. In the long run, we shall do more by sometimes doing less.Charles Spurgeon