This crowd-pleasing Easy Breakfast Casserole: Veggie or Meat is convenient for feeding hungry eaters on busy mornings by preparing it ahead of time. The delicious egg and cheese casserole's vegetable version has a meaty bite of mushrooms with a French onion taste. The meaty combination of ham, sausage, and bacon version is a tasty, filling treat.
I’m an Amazon Associate. Please note that there are Affiliate Links in the content of the Louisiana Woman Blog, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. Thank you!
My daughter, Deidra, introduced me to this breakfast casserole recipe. She likes to make it with sausage, eggs, and cheese. It's a make-ahead dish that can be prepared and left in the refrigerator overnight. Perfect for easy morning meal prep.
I found that by making a few adjustments, this Easy Breakfast Casserole becomes a vegetable lovers dish as hearty and delicious as the meaty one.
A delicious bread like Soft Moist Pumpkin Bread or Banana Bread Recipe is a fitting sidekick to this dish. So are a Fresh Fruit Salad and Tropical Fruit Salad, especially for brunch.
For more make-ahead dishes, try Stuffed Chicken Wrapped In Bacon and Mardi Gras Salad With Asparagus for easy entertaining.
The Tasty Ingredients
- French bread - any kind of yeast bread may be substituted
- olive oil - or any cooking oil
- onion - white or yellow
- green pepper - any color of sweet bell pepper can be used
- fire-roasted tomatoes - flavorfully good for the vegetable version
- white mushrooms - for vegetarian dish
- ham - smoked and flavorful cubes for meat lovers
- sausage - a breakfast style, browned before adding to a meat dish
- bacon -cooked crisp taste blends well with other meats adding great flavor
- Mexican Style Four Cheese - any cheese may be substituted, this combination melts well
- eggs - the foundation of this casserole
- milk - fresh dairy milk
- salt - to enhance the flavor
- black pepper - freshly cracked is best
See the exact measurements of the ingredients in the recipe card below.
Instructions For Easy Breakfast Casserole
First, tear half of a French bread loaf into bite-size pieces and cover the bottom of a large casserole dish with the pieces.
Next, sauté onion and bell pepper. Then add mushrooms and fire-roasted tomatoes or the meat combination to the sautéed vegetables. You can also use make your own combination of veggies and meat to suit your taste.
After topping the bread with the veggies and/or meat, sprinkle with grated Mexican Style Four Cheese on top. If you haven't tried this cheese blend, do yourself a favor and get yourself some! Its combination is perfect and melts well, making any recipe much more enticing.
Then lastly, pour seasoned scrambled eggs and milk over all the casserole dish ingredients.
Can You Make Breakfast Casserole A Day Ahead?
Yes, you can, but you don't have to. If you prefer making it ahead of time, cover the dish tightly with foil and put it in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours. Waiting a few hours is perfectly acceptable, also. Or, you may bake the Easy Breakfast Casserole immediately.
This casserole is convenient, with the option of making it ahead of time, especially the night before, for an easy breakfast (brunch, lunch, or dinner). It's so easy to take it out of the refrigerator, place the dish in the oven, then serve with bread, cut up fruit, and TA-DAH! . . . breakfast is ready!
Want More Breakfast Recipes?
Try these delicious dishes to break that morning fast or enjoy them for breakfast food at suppertime.
Vegetable Breakfast Casserole
Make this easy Breakfast Casserole and egg dish with veggies or meat ahead of time for an effortless meal.
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- 7 ounces or a half loaf of French bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- .75 cup onion, chopped
- .5 cup green pepper, chopped
- .33 cup canned fire-roasted tomatoes, optional
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced, optional
- .33 cup smoked ham, optional
- .33 cup cooked breakfast sausage, optional
- .33 cup bacon cooked crisp and crumbled, optional
- 1 cup grated Mexican Style Four Cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1.5 cups milk
- .5 teaspoon salt
- .25 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Spray a large casserole dish with oil.
- Tear up French bread into bite-sized pieces and layer it in a casserole dish.
- Sautee onion and peppers in oil in a large skillet for about 10 minutes on medium-low heat or until onions and peppers are soft.
- Add tomatoes and mushrooms for the veggie dish or meat for the meat dish to the onion and peppers and simmer together, stirring often, for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spoon veggies or meat combinations evenly on top of the bread.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of veggies/meat and bread.
- Scramble eggs and milk together with salt and pepper, then pour evenly onto the ingredients in the casserole dish.
- Cover pan tightly with foil and place in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours or bake immediately.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the egg in the center is set and the edges are golden brown.
- Serve hot.
- Store the uneaten casserole in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Or, to serve later, cover and freeze for up to 1 month, then defrost and reheat it to serve.
- Make your own rendition using the veggies and meat combinations you desire.
- The nutrition information below is for the vegetable version only.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy breakfast casserole, veggie breakfast casserole, meat breakfast casserole
You know I love hearing from you. Be sure to sign up for my emails to keep in touch. If you have any questions or comments, leave them in the reply box below.
Have a nice day!
“God wants you to get where God wants you to go more than you want to get where God wants you to go.”Mark Batterson