Chunky should be this Royale Chocolate Chip Cookies middle name. The toasted macadamia nuts, coconut flakes, and semi-sweet chocolate chips make it a royal treat to devour. Here’s the yummy recipe coming to you with helpful hints for baking the perfect cookie.
Please note that there are Affiliate Links in the content of Louisiana Woman Blog, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I have used these products that are highlighted below, and recommend them for your convenience. Thank you!
The Royale Treatment
On a recent trip to my homeland, Kaplan, Louisiana, I stopped in at Larry’s Super Foods, Home of Cajun Meats. If you’re ever in the area, this is a must-see and eat place. Their meats are Cajun specialties, and the deli has the best crab salad. My latest discovery is their Royale cookies.
While I was there, I grabbed a package of these sweet colossal disks simply named Royale and brought them to my cousin and best friend’s house, where I was spending the night. After many conversations, we decided it was time for a snack, and those delicious-looking cookies popped into my head.
And, oh, my goodness! The surprise of chunky macadamia nuts that are soft to chomp down on and the hint of coconut with semi-sweet chocolate morsels suddenly made this my favorite cookie of all! They take the classic Tollhouse up 10 plus notches!
It seems that Nordstrom has a similar cookie sold in their cafe that everyone is trying to copy. Including me and Larry’s Super Foods Home of Cajun Meats.
The Essential Ingredients
Now, these ingredients pictured below are what sets these Royale Chocolate Chip Cookies apart from the classic Tollhouse Cookie.
It’s important to toast the macadamia nuts and coconut to bring out their best flavors. Also, we’re using only dark brown sugar instead of a combination of white and brown for a boost of tasty molasses. Be sure to pack the sugar into the measuring cup for an accurate measurement.
You may be surprised to see some corn starch here. I started using it in baking when I developed this Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe made with brown butter. The corn starch gives softness to baked goods.
Now, don’t be intimidated by the oat flour. It’s simply rolled oats processed with a few pulses in a food processor, just enough to break them up and smooth their texture. The oats add an extra nutty flavor.
Just a few more tips to the perfect Royale Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Before measuring 1/4 cup of the dough into an ice cream scoop, you’ll need to refrigerate it for a few hours. Of course there is no law if you choose to bake them right away. I can’t blame you for that. But, if you want this cookie’s best performance, hold your horses and chill the dough. This allows the ingredients to come together and make a plumper cookie with a better bite.
Oh, and do add the coconut extract with the vanilla. It gives just enough coconut flavor without overpowering the rest of the ingredients.
Lastly, soften the butter in the microwave until it melts a little so you can have the smoothest creamed mixture. It helps with getting everything incorporated beautifully together.Print
A royal treat of a cookie chocked-full of toasted macadamia nuts, toasted coconut flakes, and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Follow the instructions to a perfect cookie!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Crack egg into a small bowl and scramble to break up the yolk, set aside.
- Toast macadamia nuts in a small saucepan on the stove-top for a few minutes on medium-low heat, stirring often, then remove to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add coconut to the same heated pan and toast over medium-low heat for a few minutes stirring constantly then set aside in a separate small bowl.
- Place 2 sticks of butter in the microwave and soften on low power (about 3) for 30 seconds at a time until butter is soft and starting to melt a little, turning sticks over after every 30 seconds. This will take about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes.
- Place butter into a large bowl and using a mixer, cream until it is soft and smooth.
- Add brown sugar and cream until well incorporated into the butter.
- Mix in the set-aside egg.
- Add vanilla and coconut extracts into the creamed mixture incorporating well.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and corn starch in a medium bowl.
- Process oats in a food processor until broken up into small pieces, not into a fine flour, then stir into the sifted flour mixture.
- Mix the flour mixture into the creamed butter a third at a time, don’t over mix.
- Rough chop the macadamia nuts, leaving them in big chunks.
- Stir in the nuts, coconut, and chocolate chips.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Use a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop and place dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Press dough down to flatten a little before putting into the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool then serve.
- You can skip refrigeration, but it does help the dough come together for the best cookie.
- Dough may be stored in the freezer, defrost in the refrigerator before baking.
- Decrease cooking time if making smaller-sized cookies.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Sweets, desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: royale cookies, chocolate chip cookies, cookies
You’ve just gotta try these cookies! Let me know if you have any other helpful hints for the perfect cookie. You know I love hearing from you!
Be sure to sign up for my emails so we can keep in touch. If you have any questions or comments, leave them in the reply box below.
You know I love hearing from you!
Have a nice day!
“Being engaged is a way of doing life, a way of living and loving. It’s about going to extremes and expressing the bright hope that life offers us, a hope that makes us brave and expels darkness with light. That’s what I want my life to be all about – full of abandon, whimsy, and in love.”