This fresh fruit pie starts with a delicious glaze of simple ingredients and a few minutes of cooking. It suits just about any kind of pie crust served chilled with a dollop of whipped cream.
1 – 9” pie shell, prepared
2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled, washed, sliced, and divided
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cool pie shell if baked before filling.
- Slice the strawberries and separate half of them into a bowl, mash one-half of the berries with a fork or in a food processor.
- Put water, sugar, and corn starch in a medium-size saucepan, stir together until smooth, and stir in the mashed berries.
- Place pot on the stove over medium heat and stir until contents come to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium-low and continue stirring while cooking for 3 minutes more.
- Stir in lemon juice and remove the pot from heat to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the other pound of the sliced strawberries into the cooled pie shell, then pour the cooled thickened strawberry sauce over the sliced berries evenly.
- Place pie in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Serve topped with whipped cream.
For a smoother pie, mash the other half of the sliced strawberries and add them to the glaze before cooking.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fresh strawberry pie, strawberry pie glaze, strawberry pie