- 2 pounds fresh or frozen raw shrimp, defrosted and rinsed
- 8 cups water
- .5 cup salt
- 6 dried bay leaves
- 1.5 teaspoon celery seeds
- 3 tablespoons whole peppercorns
- 2-3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 large lemons, halved
- Bring water to a boil in a large stockpot.
- Add salt, bay leaves, celery seeds, peppercorns, and Cajun seasoning.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon halves into the boiling water and seasonings, then add the lemon halves.
- Pour shrimp into the pot, stir, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, giving them an occasional stir now and then.
- Drain the shrimp in a large strainer in the sink and serve hot or cold.
- Peel and eat.
- Devein shrimp by cutting into the shell along its back, pulling out the black vein but leaving the peelings intact; do not peel shrimp before boiling.
- Add other ingredients to this shrimp boil, such as your favorite vegetables and extra seasoning.
- The boiled shrimp stores well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Add boiled shrimp to your everyday meals, or enjoy them alone as a snack.
- Use boiled shrimp in salads, pasta dishes, or marinate overnight for pickled shrimp.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Boiled
- Cuisine: Cajun
- Serving Size: 4 ounces
Keywords: easy boiled shrimp, boiled shrimp, shrimp boil