Place the turkey in a large plastic bag or container that will submerge the whole turkey in the brine solution.
Making Brine And Soaking Turkey
- Add salt to boiled water and stir until all of the salt is dissolved.
- Stir in the brown sugar, cayenne pepper, garlic cloves, rosemary, and thyme.
- Add ice to cool down the solution and stir until the ice melts.
- Add cold water to the solution to make 1 gallon of brine.
- Pour brine over the turkey, ensuring the liquid covers the whole bird.
- Close the bag or container and let it marinate in the refrigerator for 24 – 48 hours.
- Remove the turkey from the brine, discard the brine, and rinse the turkey well.
- Place in a strainer to drain and pat dry inside and out using paper towels.
Move the bird to a pan and place it in the refrigerator to allow for more drying before cooking; this causes the skin to brown well.
- Preheat oven to 450°, reducing the temperature to 350° before you add the bird.
- Remove the turkey from the refrigerator and stuff it with a cut apple, onion, celery sticks, and carrots.
- Tie the legs together to hold the stuffing and cover the turkey's skin with the softened butter.
- Place the prepared turkey in the oven and roast for 13 minutes per pound.
- Cover the cooked turkey loosely with aluminum foil and let it rest for 30 - 45 minutes before carving.
- I place my bird in a large plastic Tupperware container with a secure top and use a small pot lid to weigh it down in the liquid. The container's plastic top holds the cover in place when securely closed.
- A large pot can soak the bird instead of a plastic container.
- When using a large plastic bag to brine, secure it with a wire tie, even if the bag has a ziplock top, to help keep the bird submerged in the brine.
- An electric roaster cooks a perfect turkey and saves oven space for side dishes.
- Allowing the turkey to rest causes the juices to reabsorb into the meat, so when it's carved, the meat stays moist.
- Increase the brine recipe when using a larger bird.
- You may baste the bird when cooking in the oven, but it's unnecessary when using the electric roaster.
- Prep Time: 24 to 48 hours
- Cook Time: 2 1/2 hours
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roasted turkey, roasted seasoned turkey in a brine, roasted turkey, brining, turkey in a brine, brined roasted turkey