- 1 cup canned or cooked fresh pumpkin
- 1.5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1.75 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg
- .75 cup sugar
- .5 cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounces dates, chopped small
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9"x13" or a 10"x15" pan.
- Mix pumpkin, lemon juice, and baking soda in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a medium bowl.
- Add egg and sugar in a large bowl and mix until they become a lemon yellow color; pour oil slowly into egg and sugar while mixing, then stir in dates.
- Spoon the flour mixture alternately with the pumpkin mixture into the sugar mixture while mixing; mix until well combined.
- Stir in the nuts and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before glazing, then cut into bars.
- Mix powdered sugar with lemon juice into a small bowl and keep stirring until smooth; the glaze will be thin.
- Drizzle onto the cooled pan before cutting into bars.
- The pumpkin bars are delicious, with or without the glaze.
- Persimmon pulp may be substituted for the pumpkin.
- To omit the lemon taste of the glaze, substitute milk for lemon juice.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Sweets
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin bars recipe, pumpkin bars, pumpkin desserts