- 16 cups fresh or frozen okra, sliced or chopped
- 1/4 cup oil, canola, or vegetable
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 pods garlic, pressed
- 2 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes or 4 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- .5 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place a large, heavy pot on a burner and pour the oil into it to heat.
- Add okra to the pot and cook on medium/low heat, occasionally stirring; careful not to burn okra.
- Cook until okra is no longer slimy, which takes about an hour.
- Add onions, bell peppers, celery, garlic, and tomatoes, and cook for 20 minutes more or until vegetables are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper, stirring to combine.
- Let cool and store 2 cup servings in freezer containers; see notes.
- This recipe can be easily divided for smaller amounts of okra.
- Use 2 cups of smothered okra per 2 pounds of seafood or meat for gumbo in place of roux.
- Smothered okra can also be served as a tasty appetizer or side dish.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Category: side dish, gumbo
- Method: stew
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: smothered okra for gumbo, smothered okra