1–1/2 cups white sugar
1–3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups cocoa powder
1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1–1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup mayonnaise or 1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cup salted butter
1 cup cocoa powder
4–1/2 cups powdered sugar
1–1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1/2 cup milk
1–1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Prepare a baking pan or pans with spray oil and flour with cocoa powder; see notes.
- Combine dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in eggs, milk, mayo/oil, and vanilla into the dry ingredients and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add boiling water and stir to mix well; the outcome will be a thin batter.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove the cake to a cooling rack.
- Frost with Chocolate Frosting.
- Melt the butter.
- Mix the butter, cocoa, and espresso together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add powdered sugar and milk alternately into the cocoa and butter mixture while mixing.
- Beat frosting until it is a consistency that is easy to spread.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Add a small amount of milk if frosting needs thinning.
- This cake can be baked into 3-8″ pans, 2-9″ pans, 1-9″x13″ pan or a bundt pan.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup extra sugar to the cake batter for more sweetness.
- Cake can be baked before it’s needed; wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, place it in the freezer for up to 2 weeks, defrost, ice with frosting, and serve.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: sweets
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: best chocolate cake recipe, chocolate cake and frosting, chocolate cake recipe, Hershey's chocolate cake