- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion, or 1 large onion
- 1 cup chopped celery, or 2 celery ribs
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper, or 1 pepper
- 2 cups sliced carrots, or 4 carrots
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 60 ounces canned black beans, or 4 15-ounce cans, undrained
- 1 14.5-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 4-ounces can of chopped green chilies
- 6 cups (48 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large soup pot.
- Sauté onions, celery, bell pepper, and carrots for 10 minutes.
- Stir garlic into sautéed vegetables and cook for a few minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, chilies, broth, and seasonings.
- Stir together and simmer in an uncovered pot on medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve hot with a garnish of grated cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, avocado, onion, and/or a splash of lime juice.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: main dish, side dish
- Method: simmer
- Cuisine: Mexican/American
Keywords: black bean soup, black bean soup recipe, bean soup