6 gallons of water
1 - 4.5 pound bag of Louisiana Fish Fry Products Crawfish Shrimp, and Crab Boil Seasoning, or your favorite blend
1 stick of butter, 1/4 pound
30 pounds live crawfish, rinsed and purged
lemons, cut in half
corn on the cob
1. Fill a 60-quart pot halfway with fresh water or a crawfish cooker with fresh water to the fill line.
2. Add the seasoning to the water and turn on the heat bringing the water to a full boil.
3. Add lemons and vegetables and cook until vegetables are done, then drain them from the pot and set them aside in an ice chest to keep warm.
5. Add crawfish with butter and cook for 5 minutes for smaller and 8 minutes for larger ones.
6. Turn off the heat, then spray the crawfish with fresh water from the water hose, enough to replace the water that evaporated while cooking, or add a bag of ice, then wait until the crawfish sink to the bottom of the pot or cooker.
7. Drain and place the boiled crawfish in an ice chest, close and let sit for 15 minutes before serving, if you can wait.
- Letting the boiled crawfish sit in the ice chest before serving helps them absorb more of the seasoning.
- You can add any of your favorite vegetables to the boil.
- Cut onions in half and wrap them in foil to keep them from falling apart; the seasoning will still get into the foil package to flavor the onion.
- Adding the ice or the fresh water from a hose to the boiled crawfish while still in the cooker helps cool them slightly and push water into the shell for a juicier bite and easy peel.
- Serve with saltine crackers and a dip made of 1 part mayonnaise and 1 part ketchup.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: how to boil crawfish, boiled crawfish