Simple ingredients and instructions on how to boil crawfish with delicious results every time.
6 gallons of water
1 – 4.5 pound bag of Louisiana Fish Fry Products Crawfish Shrimp, and Crab Boil Seasoning, or your favorite blend
1 stick of butter, 1/4 pound
30 pounds live crawfish, rinsed and purged
Optional Other Ingredients:
lemons, cut in half
corn on the cob
1. Fill a 60-quart pot halfway with fresh water or a crawfish cooker with fresh water to the fill line.
2. Add the seasoning to the water and turn on the heat bringing the water to a full boil.
3. Add lemons and vegetables and cook until vegetables are done, then drain them from the pot and set them aside in an ice chest to keep warm.
5. Add crawfish with butter and cook for 5 minutes for smaller and 8 minutes for larger ones.
6. Turn off the heat, then spray the crawfish with fresh water from the water hose, enough to replace the water that evaporated while cooking, or add a bag of ice, then wait until the crawfish sink to the bottom of the pot or cooker.
7. Drain and place the boiled crawfish in an ice chest, close and let sit for 15 minutes before serving, if you can wait.
Letting them sit in the ice chest before serving helps them absorb more of the seasoning.
You can add any of your favorite vegetables to the boil.
Adding the ice or the fresh water helps cool the boiled crawfish slightly and push water into the shell for a juicier bite.
Serve with saltine crackers and a dip made of 1 part mayonnaise and 1 part ketchup.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: how to boil crawfish, boiled crawfish