This wholesome soup is easily made with pre-cooked chicken and rice simmered in a broth with fresh vegetables spiked with herbs and seasonings.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1–1 /2 cups onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1–1/2 cups carrots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 8 cups unsalted chicken broth or chicken bone broth
- 1 pound cooked chicken, diced
- 1 cup cooked rice, white or brown
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Saute onions, celery, and carrots in the oil for 5-10 minutes in a large soup pot, stirring often and adding the garlic during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Add chicken broth and simmer on low for 20 minutes, covered.
- Add chicken, rice, seasonings, and bay leaves and slowly simmer on low for 10 more minutes, covered.
- Turn heat off from under the pot, stir in peas and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve hot.
Cook raw chicken in the Instant Pot with 8 cups of water on high pressure for 15 minutes for cooked chicken in this recipe.
If using cooked chicken and broth that are already seasoned, adjust seasonings and herbs in the recipe as needed.
Simmer on low, careful not to break up the chicken pieces.
For a simpler pot of chicken soup, omit the last 4 ingredients still yielding a delicious wholesome light soup.
Add a bit of heavy cream after cooking to a bowlful for creamy chicken soup.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: simmering/broiling
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken and rice soup, chicken soup, healing soups, soup