- 4 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups onion or 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper or 1/2 of large bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery or 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled petite diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 (14.75 ounce) can cream style corn
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup seafood stock
- 1 or 1 1/2 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning, White Pepper Blend
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 pounds small to medium-size raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Heat oil, add flour, stirring until roux becomes a caramel color.
- Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic to the roux and cook for about 10 minutes or until the onions are soft and transparent.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, water, stock, and seasonings stirring, then bring all to a simmer.
- Simmer soup slowly for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp and cook at a low simmer for 10 minutes with an occasional stir.
- Serve hot.
- Chicken stock may be substituted for seafood stock.
- Don’t cook the shrimp for more than 10 minutes or they will toughen.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Category: Gumbos, Soups, and Bisques
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: shrimp and corn soup