Delicious, make-ahead creamy spinach with mushrooms and parmesan cheese to serve as an appetizer with crackers or alongside your main dish.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning, Slap Ya Mama, or any favorite brand
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 16 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms, optional
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan until the butter is melted.
- Cook onions in butter and oil for 10 minutes without browning.
- Add garlic and cook a minute more while stirring, being careful not to burn.
- Stir in flour and cook for another minute.
- Pour in cream and water, stirring until sauce is thickened.
- Season the cream sauce.
- Add 1 1/4 cups cheese, stirring until melted.
- Now, add spinach, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mushrooms, cover, and simmer 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Serve as is, or pour the creamed spinach into a 9 x 9 casserole dish, top with remaining cheese, and place under the broiler for 5 minutes or until hot and bubbly and brown on top.
Use your own combination of seasonings, such as salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, paprika, garlic, and/or onion powder.
Make ahead and keep refrigerated or freeze, then defrost and bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly and browned on top before serving.
This recipe easily divides into half for a smaller crowd.
You can use powdered parmesan cheese instead of the freshly grated kind.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: side dish/appetizer
- Method: simmering/broiling
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamed spinach