A simple recipe for french toast or pain perdu (lost bread) that makes a delicious quick breakfast or snack any time of day. The outside is crisp and crunchy and the inside soft and custardy. Top it with syrup or powdered sugar and sprinkle it with fresh berries.
8 1-inch French bread slices
1 cup half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter
Powdered sugar or syrup
- Scramble eggs with a fork in a shallow bowl.
- Add half and half and continue stirring until the egg and cream are well incorporated.
- Stir in vanilla and salt.
- Using a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat.
- Place a slice of bread into mixture and turn the bread over to absorb milk mixture on both sides.
- Cook two pieces of french bread slices at a time until golden brown on each side.
- Continue cooking the rest of the bread in a tablespoon of melted butter each time.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or pour syrup over french bread before serving.
The older the bread, the crispier it will cook up.
Add a pat of butter onto hot toast for a more buttery taste before topping with powdered sugar or syrup.
For a change, you can use a hot waffle iron coated with butter to cook the french toast.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breads
- Method: Toasting
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 2 slices
Keywords: French Toast