- 4 cups blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Bring berries, sugar, water, and lemon juice to a boil in a large skillet using high heat.
- Cook for 10 minutes lowering heat just a little, stirring occasionally.
- Put the remaining ingredients into a bowl and mix them together using an electric mixer; the dough will be somewhat stiff.
- Drop dough by teaspoonfuls into cooked berries.
- Cover and cook dumplings for 5 minutes.
- Turn dumplings over and cook covered another few minutes or until dumplings are cooked through.
- Serve warm by itself or with a scoop of ice cream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: sweets, desserts
- Cuisine: Cajun
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup