- .25 cup vegetable oil
- .5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large or 1.5 cups chopped onion
- 3 chopped celery stalks
- 1 large chopped bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1.5 pounds of ground beef
- .5 pound ground pork
- 2 cups chicken stock or beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1.25 teaspoon salt
- .25 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- Make a roux first by heating the oil over medium heat in a large pot like a Dutch oven until hot and stir in the flour.
- Brown the roux until it is a dark caramel color, being careful not to burn, taking your time all the while you stir.
- Stir the chopped vegetables into the roux and cook until the onions are soft.
- Remove vegetables and roux from the pot and into a bowl to set aside.
- Brown the ground meats to the pan.
- Drain fat from beef and pork and return to the large pot.
- Add the roux and vegetable mixture to the browned meat and stir in the chicken stock or beef broth.
- Pour in a cup of water and stir in salt and cayenne pepper, then close the lid and let it simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 3 cups of cooked rice, mix well, and serve warm.
- You may add up to 1 more cup of rice to the dressing if you prefer the taste of more rice and less meat.
- Use your favorite Cajun seasoning instead of salt and red cayenne pepper.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Side Dish
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: Rice dressing, rice dressing recipe, Cajun Rice Dressing, Louisiana rice dressing