- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 cups chicken stock or beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Make a roux first by heating the oil over medium heat in a large pot like a dutch oven until hot and stir in the flour.
- Brown the roux until it is a dark caramel color being careful not to burn, taking your time all the while.
- Stir the chopped vegetables into the roux and cook until onions are soft.
- Remove vegetables and roux out of the pot and into a bowl to set aside.
- Add the ground meats to the pan and brown.
- Drain fat from beef and pork.
- Add the roux and vegetable mixture to browned meat and stir in the chicken stock or beef broth.
- Pour in a cup of water and stir in salt and cayenne pepper then close the lid and let it simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add 3 cups of cooked rice mixing well and serve warm.
- You may add up to 1 more cup of rice to the dressing if you prefer the taste of more rice and less meat.
- Use your favorite Cajun seasoning instead of salt and red cayenne pepper.
Keywords: rice dressing, Cajun Rice Dressing, Louisiana rice dressing